615 SOUTH JEFFERSON
WOLVERINE STATE BAPTIST HEADQUARTERS
(Formerly Saginaw Young Womens Christian Association)
Dedicated April 17, 1966
Architect: Alden B. Dow Associates, Midland, Michigan
The YWCA, Saginaw Young Womens Christian Association, was organized in 1891. In 1912 they constructed a facility in the 200 block of South Jefferson and remained at this location for five decades. In the early 1960s, having outgrown their facility, they purchased a new site in the 600 block of South Jefferson and commissioned Alden B. Dow to design a new building. The new building was dedicated on April 17, 1966.
Dow created a design that provided two entrances - a secluded planted terrace that forms a pedestrian-oriented entrance from South Jefferson and an entrance facing the Baum Street parking lot. The exterior is faced with brick with exposed structural concrete components painted white. Along the roof line are suspended concrete planting boxes. Plantings in these boxes and on the terrace connect the building with nature. The interior of the building is organized around a centrally located Olympic sized swimming pool.
The YWCA ceased operation in December of 1982. Since 1995 the building has been the home of the Wolverine State Missionary Baptist Center. The space formerly occupied by the swimming pool was converted into a central worship space and an additional entrance was added from Jefferson Avenue.
The Saginaw News 15 April 1955. C1+.
“After 91 Years Here, It’s Over for YWCA.” The Saginaw News 11 November 1982. A1.
Saginaw YWCA Drawings and Documents. Alden D. Dow Archives, Midland, Michigan.